Monday, June 2, 2008

E-mail forwards

Why is it that those obnoxious e-mail forwards with the 'feel good' message - the ones where bad things will happen if you don't pass it along - always have Christian undertones? For me, they're just plain annoying, to begin with, but I would imagine they would irritate Christians, too, simply for sticking the Christian brand on worthless SPAM.

But I was amused by the fact that one of these forwards had the following message to try to get people to keep passing it along:
The Lotus Touts must leave your hands in 6 MINUTES. Otherwise you will get a very unpleasant surprise. This is true, even if you are not superstitious, agnostic, or otherwise faith impaired.


I'm "faith impaired"! How stellar is that? I can't decide if they were trying to be politically correct or if they wanted to offend us non-believers. I'm fairly sure that I'm one of many who don't feel a deficit or handicap for not believing in a supreme being. Granted, I would imagine there are some who focus more on the doubt, and they may indeed feel discomfort in their state.

I hadn't really thought about it, recently, but it is really interesting how there seems to be a similar sense of peace in actively believing and actively disbelieving. It's the ones who aren't sure if they believe who seem to struggle. Once you sit down and open yourself to what you really do believe, then you're good - be it that there is indeed a God (and maybe a savior) or not. Cool deal.

Note: Also, that little block of text doesn't really make sense, if one observes the syntactical rules of the English language, but... oh well...

No comments: