Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Browsing the net: Meditative?

So I was just reading this thing on how meditation is healthy and can alter brain structure, and stuff. And it's a bit silly, but the thought crossed my mind that there might be a reason that I think of web browsing as being almost meditative. I mean... it's not, and I know that, since I definitely have my brain buzzing away at all different sorts of things, but... I think I find it so more than a lot of people. My stepmom always tells me how after staring at a computer all day, she just... can't even look at a screen, once the work-day ends. Even a television feels like a stretch for her. And don't get me wrong, my eyes are strained, too, but... I definitely stare at a computer all day, and then go home and feel perfectly inclined to just... stare at a computer screen some more. Obviously it's not for the screen, but what it's showing me, but yeah. Different perceptions. I can come home and kick back and just... glaze through my design blog feeds, here and there, and it's relaxing. I need to remind myself that reading books is also a good way to do that. But I get caught up in stuff... I have too many RSS feed subscriptions... I wonder if they have FeedReaders Anonymous... But yeah, it's almost meditative, since I can just get lost in it all...

Now you should read the article on meditation which has absolutely nothing to do with my post, but it's interesting and made for a nice springboard for my babble :)

3 comments:

Peter said...

I think you're just concentrating.

P-Wagz said...

The article you posted was interesting. I never thought of differing ways of meditation before. I think I have my own method as well. I usually plug into my music at work all day, and for the particularly mindless tasks, where no deep attention is required, I get lost in my music. As a result, I'm never very stressed out at work. Neat.

P-Wagz said...

The article you posted was interesting. I never thought of differing ways of meditation before. I think I have my own method as well. I usually plug into my music at work all day, and for the particularly mindless tasks, where no deep attention is required, I get lost in my music. As a result, I'm never very stressed out at work. Neat.